PHOTO GALLERY: Cleveland Indians pound Cincinnati Reds in series opener at Progressive Field
The Indians overcame an early 4-0 deficit by scoring a season-high 15 runs and pounding out a season-high 19 hits in a 15-6 win over the Reds on Monday night.
The Tribe scored four in the third, three in the fourth and five in the sixth. Every Indians starter had at least a hit and a run. Big nights included:
- Rajai Davis reached four times and scored from first on a Jason Kipnis two-run single in the fourth
- Francisco Lindor had three hits including a key two-run double in the third that helped the Tribe get back in it
- Mike Napoli had two RBI singles and walked twice
- Yan Gomes hit a three-run homer, the third straight game in which he’s homered (first time in his career he’s done that); he had four RBI (sac fly in the seventh)
- Marlon Byrd hit a two-run homer and scored three times
Also Monday, Columbus Crew All-Star Ethan Finlay threw out the ceremonial first pitch.
–Photos by Dan Mendlik/Maureen MacGregor