Roster News & Notes for March 29
Indians manager Terry Francona informed reporters this morning that the organization made one formal roster move on Sunday, while the Baseball Operations staff and coaches also spoke to a number of other players regarding plans for the regular season. To summarize those moves briefly:
- Cleveland’s formal roster move involved optioning RHP Josh Tomlin to Triple-A Columbus, where he is scheduled to begin the season. Tito’s follow-up comments emphasized that the organization believes that Josh will be a factor for the Major League club very early in the season, but that it wouldn’t make sense to outline how just yet because of all the unknowns in April (performance, weather, health, etc.).
- The club also informed RHP Jeff Manship that he will begin the season with the Clippers.
- RHP Zach McAllister will make the Opening Day roster as a member of Cleveland’s starting rotation – Zach is scheduled to start the April 10 Home Opener at Progressive Field vs. Detroit, the club’s fourth game of the season.
- LHP TJ House will make the Opening Day roster as a member of Cleveland’s starting rotation – TJ is scheduled to start the club’s fifth game of the season on April 11 vs. Detroit.
- RHP Anthony Swarzak was informed that he will make the Opening Day roster as a member of Cleveland’s bullpen.
- The staff also spoke with RHP Austin Adams to confirm that he is still in the mix for one of the club’s final bullpen spots entering the final week of Spring Training.
Tito sported a customized gift from the Goodyear Police Department during this morning’s session, as he hosted local officers and their families today at the Goodyear Player Development Complex. He has also treated other groups to morning workouts/batting practice, as well as game tickets, including Goodyear Little League, the Goodyear Fire Department, Luke Air Force Base and guests of the Wounded Warrior Project.