Indians plan festivities for Nov. 12, 13 prior to AL Cy Young, MVP Award unveiling
The Cleveland Indians have a host of activities planned for Wednesday and Thursday ahead of the announcement of the American League Cy Young and Most Valuable Player awards, for which Corey Kluber and Michael Brantley are finalists.
Kluber, 28, is coming off one of the best seasons in Indians history by a starting pitcher, going 18-9 with a 2.44 ERA and 269 strikeouts, sixth-most in club history for a single season. He finished tied for first in the American League in wins (18) and starts (34), second in strikeouts and third in ERA (2.44) and innings pitched (235.2).
Brantley earned his first American League All-Star selection in 2014 and led the club and set career-bests in virtually every offensive category. He became the first Indians player to amass 200 hits, 45-plus doubles, 20-plus home runs and 20-plus stolen bases in the 114-year history of the franchise (and the ninth overall player in MLB history to do it). He also won an AL Silver Slugger Award.
Among the activities planned are:
- Kluber Q&A: Fans will have the opportunity to ask Kluber questions on Twitter on Wednesday afternoon; fans should follow @Indians and @CKluber to participate.
- Callaway conference call: Tribe Season Ticket Holders and social media followers can chat live with the man who works most closely with Kluber during the season, Tribe pitching coach Mickey Callaway, at 4PM Wednesday.
- Business/school support: The Indians are asking Cleveland-area businesses and schools to wear Tribe colors to support Kluber and Brantley on Wednesday and Thursday; those that do, and tweet photos of their workplace or school in Tribe gear using the hashtag #CyKluber, will be eligible to win Indians prize packs. (Click here for contest rules.)
- Social media contests: The Indians will offer prizes for fans on social media who enter a Kluber look-a-like contest and others.
- #CyKluber countdown, #SmoothMVP highlights: On social media, the Indians will wrap up their month-long countdown of Kluber’s AL-high 18 wins with recaps of each start, including pitching lines, highlights and more. On Thursday, the club’s social media accounts will focus on highlights of Brantley’s historic season.
- Cy Young announcement: Kluber, along with the other finalists, will be interviewed on MLB Network starting at 6PM Wednesday ahead of the announcement.
- MVP announcement: Brantley will be interviewed, along with the Angels’ Mike Trout and the Tigers’ Victor Martinez, on MLB Network starting at 6PM ahead of the award unveiling.