Lonnie Baseball/Lake Erie Lonster has night for the ages — video, GIFs, notes
The Tribe’s wild 17-7 win over the Rangers on Monday night featured standout performances from many players, but Lonnie Chisenhall continued his torrid start to 2014 by getting even hotter.
Here’s how his night went:
- First: RBI single scoring Asdrubal Cabrera
- Second: Homers to right, scoring Jason Kipnis
- Fourth: Homers to right-center, scoring Kipnis
- Sixth: Doubles to center, scoring Michael Brantley
- Eighth: Homers to right, scoring Brantley, Kipnis
- He and Kipnis also busted out some sweet dance moves.
- He wowed Terry Francona.
To put Lonnie’s performance in perspective:
+ Chisenhall is the first player in MLB history to have 5 hits, 3 homers and 9 RBI in 5 plate appearances
- Three other players have had 5 hits, 3 homers and 9 RBI – Fred Lynn, 6 PAs, 1975; Gil Hodges, 6 PAs, 1950; Walker Cooper, 7 PAs, 1949
+ Chisenhall tied the club record for RBI in a game
- Only one other Indians player has had 9 RBI in a game – Chris James on May 4, 1991 at Oakland
+ Chisenhall became the 32nd player in Tribe history to have 3 or more homers in one game
- Last: Current Ranger Shin-Soo Choo, Sept. 17, 2010
Chisenhall is drawing ever closer to being eligible for league leader rankings; a player must average 3.1 plate appearances per team game. Lonnie’s average, now at 2.82 Pas/game (181 in 64), continues to rise. Among players with more than 150 plate appearances, Chisenhall’s .385 average tops all MLB hitters.