Tuesday recap: Photos, video, post-game notes from win over DET
- The Indians have taken the first two games of this 3-game series vs. Detroit halting the club’s brief back-to-back series loss skid at Toronto and vs. Oakland…today’s victory sealed the Tribe’s first series win over the Tigers since May 10-12, 2013 (2-1) at Detroit, and the first here in Cleveland since July 24-26, 2012 (2-1).
- Cleveland improves to 3-1 in the season series vs. Detroit, as the two clubs split a pair of mid-April tilts at Comerica Park earlier this season; Tribe went just 4-15 vs. Detroit in 2013 (1-9 at Progressive Field).
- For the second consecutive night, at least 3 Tribe batters turned in multi-hit efforts (all 9 starters had at least one hit)…the Tribe used a 4-run second inning to propel to an early 5-1 lead, as the club is now 17-5 on the season when plating at least 4 runs.
- The Indians have won 5 of 8 and 9 of their last 16 games here at Progressive Field.
- Making his first career start vs. Detroit, Bauer earned his first victory of the season (Highlights!) after limiting the Tigers to just 2 runs on 2 solo homers across 6.0 quality innings (W, 6.0 IP, 7 H, 2 R-ER, 3 BB, 5 SO, 2 HR, 95 pitches/62 strikes).
- Tonight’s victory marked his first career win vs. an American League opponent, as he entered tonight’s game 0-2 with a 7.50 ERA (10 ER/12.0 IP) in 3 starts opposite Tampa Bay, New York-AL and Chicago-AL.
- Over his two starts with Cleveland this season, Bauer is 1-1 with a 2.25 ERA (3 ER/12.0 IP) and has registered 13 strikeouts against just 5 walks.
- In 4 career starts here at Progressive Field, Bauer is 2-2 with a 1.93 ERA (5 ER/23.1 IP) and 22 strikeouts.
- BRYAN SHAW relieved Trevor Bauer with one runner on in the top of the 7th and retired all 5 batters he faced across 2.0 spotless frames; Shaw has notched scoreless appearances in 21 of his 24 outings on the season…CODY ALLEN appeared in his team-high (T3rd in AL) 23rd game and recorded a 1-2-3 ninth inning; has allowed 0 earned runs in 20 of his 23 games this season.
- Plated the Tribe’s first 2 tallies in the club’s 4-run second inning, lacing a 2-run double to left scoring Swisher and Gomes…Aviles entered tonight’s game on an 0-9 slump and was just 1-for-last 18 over his last 5 games.
- Marks the 3rd multi-RBI game for Aviles, the other’s coming on April 2 (GM 2) at Oakland (2 RBI) and most recently on May 9 at Tampa Bay (3 RBI).
- Singled and scored the Tribe’s first run in the bottom of the first, and capped the 4-run second inning with an RBI single plating Bourn…Cabrera also chipped in a multi-hit effort in last night’s game and is now 4-9 with a run scored to start the series.
- Over his last 12 games, Cabrera is batting .409 (20-47) with 2 home runs, 6 doubles, and 12 runs scored – average has gone from .205 to .268 over that span.
BRANTLEY EXTENDS HOME HIT STREAK
- Has hit safely in 17 consecutive home games, one shy of the longest home hit streak by an Indians player in Progressive Field history (1994-2014) held by Kenny Lofton (1996) and Robbie Alomar (2000)…Alomar’s record-tying 18-gamer in 2000 is last home streak longer than 17 games…longest hit streak in Progressive Field history by any player is an active 22-game stretch by Elvis Andrus of the Texas Rangers (has hit safely in all 37 career games vs. Cleveland).
- Over the course of the streak, the longest home hit streak in the Majors this season, Brantley has hit .400 (26-65) with 5 doubles, 6 home runs and 17 RBI…has hit safely in 22 of 25 home games overall.
- Notched his 7th multi-hit game of the season, finishing tonight 2-5 with a pair of doubles, one RBI and a run scored; marked his 12th career two-double game, first since September 21, 2013 vs. Houston.
- Bourn has hit safely in 4-straight games 20 of his last 23 overall – batting .271 (26-96) with 2 doubles, 4 triples, a home run, 10 RBI and 6 runs scored over that stretch.
- Bourn owns a lifetime .417 average (10-24) with 3 RBI vs. Detroit’s Justin Verlander.
- Recorded his second consecutive multi-hit game following up last night’s 2-4 effort with two more hits tonight off of Tigers starter Justin Verlander…Swisher has hit safely in 5 of his last 6 games, going 7-21 with 2 RBI over that stretch.
–Photos by David Cleveland/Stats courtesy of Baseball Information Department