Thursday recap: Photos, post-game notes from another series win
- The Indians took the final game of this 4-game series vs. Minnesota and have reeled off 3 consecutive victories for the first time this season; entered today’s game having won back-to-back games 6 times in 2014, but were unable to win the next game in each of the previous 5 instances.
- After taking 2 of 3 vs. Chicago-AL to start the homestand, the Indians have also posted back-to-back series wins for the first time this season.
- The Indians improve their home record to 12-8 (.600), winning 3 straight, 7 of 9 and 8 of their last 11 games here at Progressive Field dating back to April 21 vs. Kansas City.
- Over the last 5 games, Tribe starters have allowed just 7 earned runs across 41.0 IP (1.54 ERA) with 45 K’s and 10 walks…Tribe starters finished the homestand at 4-0 w/a 1.94 ERA (10 ER/46.1 IP) and a 0.99 WHIP; registered 51 strikeouts as opposed to 13 walks.
- The Tribe pounded out a season-high 6 doubles on 8 extra-base hits and had four batters record a 3-hit game for the first time since April 18, 2009 at New York (W, 22-4).
- Picked up his second consecutive victory after allowing just 2 earned runs on 4 hits across 6.1 innings (W, 6.1 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 7 SO, 1 HB, 97 pitches/60 strikes).
- Marked the first time Masterson has earned victories in consecutive starts since reeling off 3 straight victories from July 21-August 1, 2013; the final game of that 3-game stretch (vs. CWS) also signaled Masterson’s last win in a day game start.
- Over his last 4 starts here at Progressive Field, Masterson has gone 2-0 with a 2.05 ERA (6 ER/26.1 IP) with 28 strikeouts against 9 walks.
- Extended the Indians lead to 4-0 with his team-leading 6th home run of the season off Twins starter Kevin Correia in the bottom of the 5th; Brantley finished 3-5, his second 3-hit effort of the homestand (3-5, May 2 vs. CWS) and third of the season (3-5, April 6 vs. MIN).
- Brantley has hit safely in a club-best 8 consecutive games, going 13-32 with 2 home runs and 10 RBI over that stretch.
- Has also hit safely in each of his last 12 games played here at Progressive Field dating back to April 20 vs. Toronto (19-47, 4 HR, 14 RBI)
- Brantley now ranks T3rd in the American League with 29 RBI this season behind Jose Abreu (35) and Chris Colabello (30); also T6th most in the Majors…has recorded an American League-best 9 multi-RBI games on the season.
- Finished the homestand 12-30 (.400) with 3 doubles, 2 home runs and 9 RBI.
- Finished a triple shy of the cycle, notching his 12th career 4-hit performance – his first since May 5, 2012 vs. Texas…Cabrera owns a career-high 5-hit performance on May 22, 2011 vs. Cincinnati.
- Cabrera’s HR in the bottom of the second marked his 8th career big fly coming against the Twins, tied with Kansas City for the most against any opponent behind Chicago-AL (10).
- After plating the winning run in the bottom of the 9th last night, Aviles has logged back-to-back 3-hit games for the 5th time in his career.
- Aviles last collected back-to-back 3-hit games as a member of the Kansas City Royals vs. Cleveland on September 17 & 18, 2010 vs. Cleveland.
- Has now gone 12-22 (.545) with 5 multi-hit efforts over his last 7 games.
–Figures courtesy of Baseball Information Dept./Photos by Dan Mendlik and David Cleveland