Wednesday recap: Photos (fun!) and post-game notes
Post-game notes: April 23
- Will enter Thursday afternoon’s finale against the Royals with a shot at a winning homestand, as the Tribe is now 3-3 on this 7-day stay against Toronto (1-2) and Kansas City (2-1).
- Won for just the second time this season when facing an opposing left-handed starter (2-6)…Tribe lefties went 4-for-9 with a pair of RBI against Royals southpaw JASON VARGAS.
- The Indians bullpen stranded a pair of inherited runners in the 7th inning (game was tied 3-3) and one more in the 8th (Tribe held 4-3 lead), extending a successful stretch of stranding 11 consecutive inherited runners.
- Cleveland relievers have stranded a Major League-best 32 of 35 (91.4%) inherited runners overall in 2014.
- Tribe bullpen has posted a 2.74 ERA (21 ER/69.0 IP) and .214 (54-252) avg. against overall this season, which includes a 1.93 ERA (4 ER/18.2 IP) and .212 (14-66) avg. against through 6 games of the current homestand.
ROYALS GO BACK-TO-BACK IN THE SECOND INNING
- SALVADOR PEREZ (1) & MIKE MOUSTAKAS (4) connected for back-to-back one-out solo homers to give Kansas City an early 2-0 lead in the 2nd inning…marked the first pair of back-to-back home runs for the Royals since July 4, 2013 vs. Cleveland (Lorenzo Cain/George Kottaras, 6th inn.).
- Kansas City entered tonight with the fewest home runs in the Majors (7)…Royals have homered 3 times against Cleveland after entering the series with just 6.
- Cleveland’s pitching staff entered tonight’s game having allowed the fewest home runs in the A.L. and 3rd-fewest in the Majors (12 HR in 20 games thru April 22).
- Took his fifth no-decision in as many starts this season (5) despite tossing his second consecutive quality start and third overall (6.1 IP, 8 H, 3 R-2 ER, 2 BB, 6 SO, 2 HR, 98 pitches/64 strikes)…last decision of any kind came on Sept. 2, 2013 vs. Baltimore; last victory came on Aug. 21, 2013 at Los Angeles-AL.
- Allowed both earned runs he permitted on a pair of back-to-back solo homers in the 2nd inning…had surrendered just one home run through his first 4 starts and 21.2 innings…allowed multiple home runs in the same outing just twice all of last season (June 3 at New York-AL & June 25 at Baltimore)…tonight marked just the fifth time in Masterson’s career to give up multiple homers in a start/appearance here at Progressive Field, first since Aug. 30, 2012 vs. Oakland (3 HR).
- Erased a 2-0 deficit with his 2-out, 2-run triple in the 2nd inning, scoring Cabrera and Aviles…was his first triple of the season.
- With an RBI-single on Tuesday vs. Kansas City, Bourn has now driven in 3 runs in his last 2 games after no RBI through his first 5 games of the season with Cleveland.
- Collected his team-best fourth stolen base of the season with one out in the 6th inning and then scored a game-tying run (3-3) on 2 subsequent Kansas City errors that occurred on the same play (E2/E8)…reached base on a one-out single off fellow lefty Vargas…also drew a walk in the 8th that helped push across the Indians’ fifth run.
- Broke a 3-3 tie with his 2-out, RBI-double to score Swisher (2-out single) and give Cleveland a 4-3 lead…has 10 RBI on the season, including 3 in this series against Kansas City.
- Notched his sixth multi-hit game of the season, tied with Swisher for most on the team.
- Provided Cleveland with an insurance run, delivering a one-out, pinch-hit RBI-single in the bottom of the 8th to make it 5-3 – the first pinch-hit or pinch-RBI for Cleveland this season…was Chisenhall’s second career pinch-RBI, the other coming courtesy of a solo home run on Aug. 29, 2013 at Atlanta…marked Chisenhall’s first RBI of any kind in 12 games this season and first since Sept. 21, 2013 vs. Houston.
- Notched his A.L.-leading 8th save of the year (8-for-9), converting 4 consecutive save opportunities in as many relief appearances since lone blown save on April 13 at Chicago-AL.