Indians Game 1 post-game notes
Check out these notes from the Tribe’s afternoon victory over San Diego; with the victory, the Indians improved to 5-3 on the young season.
- Moved 2 games above the .500 mark (5-3) to match the club’s high water-mark of the season (3-1 record on April 4)…Cleveland’s record has not fallen below the .500 mark this season.
- Tribe pitching staff posted its second team shutout of 2014, the other coming in a 2-0 Opening Day victory on March 31 at Oakland.
- Facing San Diego for the first time since 2008, Cleveland improved to 8-3 all-time against the Padres (4-1 at Progressive Field).
- Took his second turn through the Indians rotation and notched his first victory of 2014 with 7.2 scoreless frames (7.2 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 SO, 99 pitches/70 strikes)…matched the longest scoreless outing of his MLB career, also tossing 7.2 scoreless innings in a 1-0 victory on May 7, 2013 vs. Oakland…both of his outings so far in 2014 have come in doubleheaders, as he took the mound in Game One on April 2 at Oakland, but did not factor into the decision of that 6-4 victory (4.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R-ER, 4 BB, 4 SO, 86 pitches).
- Tallied 7 strikeouts, one shy of his career-high (8, three times) and most since Aug. 13, 2013 at Minnesota (7 K’s).
- Retired 21 of the first 24 batters he faced through his first 7.0 frames, just 3 more than the minimum…then retired the first 2 batters in the 8th before allowing a pair of singles; was then relieved by Allen.
- Broke a scoreless tie with a 2-run homer off fellow left-hander Eric Stults in the 6th inning, his first long-ball of the season.
- Of his 39 career home runs, 8 of those have come against left-handed pitching.
- Has driven in 6 runs over his last 3 games after no RBI through his first 5 games.
- Entered today’s game with 2 outs in the 8th and struck out Seth Smith on a called third strike to strand runners and 1st and 2nd…has now stranded all 5 inherited runners he has adopted this season…has made 5 relief appearances this season, tossing 3.2 scoreless innings.
- Notched his 4th save of the season, as he has closed out both wins in this series against San Diego.
- Padres fell to 1-4 on their 6-game road trip through Miami (1-2) and Cleveland (0-2).
- Club is participating in its first doubleheader in Interleague history.
- Took his second loss of the season despite pitching into the 6th inning and surrendering just one earned run (5.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R-1 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO, 1 HR, 90 pitches/52 strikes)…was touched for both runs he allowed on a 2-run HR by Jason Kipnis…retired 14 of the first 18 batters he faced through 5.0 innings.
- Left-handers had been 1-for-6 with a single & GIDP (both by Brantley) prior to the Kipnis 2-run HR in the 6th (lefties were 2-for-8 on the afternoon against Stults)…including today, has limited left-handers to a .181 avg. (52-287) since the start of the 2012 season.
- Today marked his second career game/start at Progressive Field, the other coming in a no-decision for Chicago on May 7, 2012 (6.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R-ER, 4 BB, 4 SO, 1 HB, 107 pitches)…Tribe won that contest 3-2.
- Entered today’s game with 2 outs in the 6th and struck out the only batter he faced (Gomes) to strand runners at 2nd and 3rd…Vincent has now stranded all 5 runners he has inherited this season…stranded 16 of 21 (76%) inherited runners last season.