Indians Game Information: April 6, 2014
CLEVELAND INDIANS (3-2) vs. MINNESOTA TWINS (2-3)
RHP Justin Masterson (0-0, —) vs. RHP Ricky Nolasco (0-1, 7.50)
Game #6/Home #3 » Sunday, April 6, 2014 » Progressive Field » 1:05 p.m. (ET) » SportsTime Ohio, WTAM-WMMS/IRN
WINS & LOSSES
- After winning their 2014 home opener on Friday in come-from behind fashion by a score of 7-2, the Indians allowed Minnesota to even the 3-game series in a 7-3 loss on Saturday…Tribe fell behind early, as Twins jumped out to a 5-1 lead after 3 innings; Cleveland was down 7-1 before plating a pair of runs in the 9th…managed just a single run on 3 hits against Twins starter Kyle Gibson.
- Home Opener: Tribe was held scoreless thru 5.0 on just one hit against Twins starter Mike Pelfrey (first 12 batters retired in order) before erasing a 2-0 deficit with a pair of home runs in the 6th from YAN GOMES (solo) & NICK SWISHER (2-run)…Cleveland rallied for 4 more runs in the 7th to put the game out of reach.
- Cleveland is 1-1 to begin this 6-day, 6-game homestand against Minnesota (1-1) and San Diego (3 games)…club is coming off a brief 3-game road trip to open the season during which Tribe took 2 of 3 from Oakland, improving to 27-9 against the A.L. West since start of 2013 campaign…series win came despite plating 9 combined runs, 6 of those being scored in the 9th inning…second game of Oakland series was rained out, forcing a day-night DH on Wednesday…both Indians wins vs. A’s had same winning (Allen), losing (Johnson) and saving (Axford) pitchers…Friday began a stretch of 10 consecutive game dates before club’s next off day on April 14 in Detroit.
- Cleveland is 2nd in the A.L. Central standings, 1.5 games behind Detroit (4-0) & one half-game ahead of 3rd-place Kansas City (-2.0G, 2-2)…Tribe has spent 2 days in 1st place, 3 days in 2nd place and one day in 3rd place.
…AND IT LIVES IN MINNEAPOLIS
- The Twins are making their first of 3 trips to Cleveland in 2014, as the two clubs are set to meet 19 times…for the second consecutive season, all 3 of the Indians’ trips to Minnesota will take place after the All-Star break.
- Cleveland went 13-6 vs. Minnesota last season, going 6-3 at home and 7-3 on the road…since ‘94 re-alignment, marked just 3rd time for Tribe to beat Twins 13 times, also 2001 (14-5) & 2007 (14-4)…Tribe clinched a 2013 A.L. Wild Card berth at Target Field on the final day of the regular season, a 5-1 victory over the Twins to complete their 7th 4-game series sweep & cap a 10-game winningstreak to end the year.
- Saturday’s loss snapped a 7-game winning streak for Cleveland against Minnesota, which had been club’s longest since 2011 and 2 shy of Tribe’s all-time record against the Twins (9, 5/9/81-8/20/82…Cleveland has still gone 14-7 vs. Minnesota since start of 2013.
GET ON THE GOOD FOOT
- With the Twins’ 3-run rally in the first inning yesterday, opponents have now scored first in 4 of the Indians’ 5 games so far this season, although Cleveland has managed 2 come-from-behind victories in those 4 contests…additionally, Cleveland’s pitching staff has allowed 8 of its 19 total runs in the first inning…staff has a 14.40 ERA (8 ER/5.0 IP) in first inning, but a 2.08 ERA (9 ER/39.0 IP) from the 2nd inning on…in 2013, Cleveland went68-24 when scoring first, but 24-46 when opponents tallied first.
MY BACK PAGES
- Cleveland’s offense was active in the late innings once again Saturday with a pair of 9th inning runs before the rally fell short, this after scoring 3 runs in the 6th and 4 more in the 7th in Friday’s home opener…the Tribe has scored 13 of team’s 19 overall runs in the 7th inning-or-later…among A.L. teams in the 7th inning-or late, the Indians rank among leaders in runs (1st, 13), batting avg. (2nd, .322, 19-59), OBP (3rd, .386) and OPS (4th, .792).
- Cleveland has plated 9th-inning runs in 4 of the club’s 5 games so far (8 total runs)…OAK series: Indians broke scoreless tie w/ pair of 9th-inn. runs on Monday (2-0 win), avoided a shutout with one run in final at-bat of Game 1 Wednesday (6-1 loss) and then rallied for 3 runs in 9th of Game 2 for a come-from-behind victory (6-4 win).
- On rehab assignment at Triple-A Columbus, OF MICHAEL BOURN (15-day DL, left hamstring strain) was the starting center fielder in the Clippers’ 4-0 loss to the Indianapolis Indians at Huntington Park on Saturday, going 1-for-3 with a single in Game 1 of a doubleheader…reported no issues following the game and was around the Indians clubhouse this morning.
GARDENHIRE GETS WIN NO. 1,000
- Please join the Indians in congratulating Twins manager RON GARDENHIRE, who became the 5th active skipper – 60th all-time- to reach 1,000 career victories with Saturday’s 7-3 win over theTribe…TERRY FRANCONA (1,124) reached that milestone in2011 during his final season at the helm of the Boston Red Sox…the others are Bruce Bochy (1,535), Mike Scioscia (1,235) andBuck Showalter (1,164).